Sunday, January 29, 2006

Information!

Well, I did say that I would give you some information!
The basics are: My name is Megan. I live on a five acre prairie farm in Texas. And I live in a green house. Yep, green home. My mum chose the colors, but I had to put my foot down when she said she wanted to have a red roof (not really, they don't have red roof's, I think). So we ended up with a red front door.
The back (or the front, which ever way you look at it) of the house faces a large field that has cows and horses pasturng on it. The back yard is mostly fenced off, because we are letting our neighbor's six jersey cows eat the grass, in exchange for fresh milk (yum!).There is the chicken coop, which is next to the veggie garden. On the other side of the coop, are the graves of two pets, a cat and a dog. The part of the house that faces the road, is fenced off for the cows also. Leaving only an acre and a half for me to mow and for my little brother to play in. But even that is being taken over! My mother is in the process of planting an orchard. Did I mention that she's trying to grow grape vines? There also are four raised beds for herbs (hence mom's name) and there are plan's for plenty more. I'm not complaining! I absolutley love it! Except for the lack of trees.
Since we are on the prairie, the wind get's really harsh, so we have found a solution. Pine trees. They block wind and noise. The only problem is, where to find them. The answer, to order them when they are about a foot high and then spend the next month or so planting them, and trying to keep a staight line while planting. Not easy to do. At least for me, that is.
If you look at the beginning of the row, you may notice that it tends to go a bit...off. Okay, not a bit, a lot off. My only excuse is that it was right after a big down pour and it was really, really muddy. So muddy that my boots got stuck several times.
Along the drive way, there is a line of Bradford Pear trees. When the flowers bloom, they are gorgeous! They take your eyes off the crooked driveway, but I may be the only one that has noticed that so far.
About me: I love writing, so much so that I am writing four books, or trying to. I like reading. If I have spare time, you might find me curled up in a corner with a good book, like Dracula or Watership Downs. I enjoy cooking, to a certain extent. And I am getting better at using the sewing machine, now my skirts actually look like skirts, not shapeless bags. I enjoy going for walks when the honey-suckle flowers are out, and when the sun is setting. The sunsets are sometimes right out of a fairytale, with pink and orange clouds.
For classes, I am currently doing Biology and a Great Books class. In Great Books, we read the old classics like the Iliad and the Odessey. Nothing like confusing poetry early in the morning, eh?
Well, I'm starting to not be able to feel my fingers, so I leave you with this in good grace and in the hopes that you will visit again.
God Bless,
Megan

11 Comments:

At 5:45 PM, Blogger JFC said...

Love your descriptions. I have pine trees and Bradford pears in my front lawn, and honeysuckle on a "cattle panel" trellis (hooped over) on my back deck.

To keep the tree lines straight, take a couple of fence posts (electric fence: rebar, or metal posts) and place them at the ends, and then pull a strand of electric fence wire tight between them. You have a guide for where to plant, then. We got our pines when they were about 1 foot, and most of that went in the ground. Here in Missouri, the state conservation people sell them 25 for $5 or $6 at that size.

It's great to have neighbors with whom you can cut a deal to trade .. in your case, grass for milk. I'm trying to cut a deal with a beekeeper for honey now, but I'm not sure it will work out.

Keep writing. Helps you to untangle your thoughts, and ... it is sure to be a blessing to some folks out here.

JFC

 
At 8:11 PM, Blogger Emily said...

Hi Megan! I'm pleased to make your acquaintance. I've been reading your mom's blog for some time now and chatting back and forth with her. I can't believe you have a red door - I have two! As a matter of fact, I was planning on posting a picture on my blog next time, so you'll have to stop by and see if they bear any resemblance to yours. Funny thing, I recently remarked to someone that I could just see my doors on a house in Texas. :)

Your land sounds beautiful. You do have a talent for creating a vivid picture with your words; I could almost imagine myself there in your yard. Mmmm, honeysuckle. One of my favorite scents but I think we live too far north to grow it. If you lived any closer, we'd gladly share our pine trees with you; in NH we have far too many!

Hope you enjoy your blogging experience; I look forward to reading more of your "ramblings." God bless you! Emily

 
At 8:13 PM, Blogger Patty said...

Hello Megan,
Welcome to the world of blogging.
Keep writing

 
At 8:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Megan!

Applause!--standing up first!!!

You are an excellent writer---very descriptive sentences.

I've learned more about your place from your few words than from your Mom after talking with her for several weeks. You paint awesome pictures with your words. Sounds really nice!

I wish I could grown the types of fruit that you've planted here in the 'Great White North'!! I am very proud of my apple orchard tho.

You sound like an amazing young person to be out there in the mud planting trees--or as I call it when I work in those conditions "mudding them it"!!!

I used to work as the 'City Gardener' for the town of Grand Forks (60,000 people) and hire a number of young people for my summer crew. I can tell you from years of experience, it was hard to find young people these days that have a good work ethic---especially when it came to getting dirty and working in unpleasant weather conditions.

Your Mother is blessed to have such a daughter as you!

Welcome to the rural, Christian blogging community. I've only been here myself for a few weeks and feel so warm and welcomed!

May God continue to bless you and your family!

Steven

 
At 9:32 PM, Blogger Lynn Bartlett said...

Hi Megan,

It sounds funny to read that you live on the prairie in Texas, as we have prairie up here in ND! Up where we live, people either live "in the hills" or "on the prairie," and there certainly is a definite difference. I'm looking forward to getting to know you more, and keep writing -- you do an excellent job!

 
At 7:00 AM, Blogger Jonathan said...

It seems that bloggers are going to take over the world, there is so many of them! I have to watch how much time I'm on the computer, because I could go all day reading them.
I'll be checking back here though, I'm sure. Good writing!

 
At 8:27 AM, Blogger Jonathan said...

I forgot to say that I do have an open page left in the Dakota Times this issue; if you can get something to me in the next couple days or sooner I could fit another article.

 
At 8:41 AM, Blogger sonia a. mascaro said...

Welcome to the blogosphere, Megan!
I found your blog through your Mom. Your blog is very well written and I would like to see some photos from your house and yard. All the best to you, from Sonia, São Paulo, Brazil.
PS: I would like your visit on my blog, too.

 
At 4:15 PM, Blogger Scott M Terry said...

Welcome aboard! I look forward to hearing more.

 
At 10:54 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Nice blog, welcome to the group! And yes there are red roofs, around here anyway, made out of tin, very engery saving. Would also like to see some pics of your place. Your Mom sent me over! LOL

 
At 3:41 PM, Blogger Tom Scepaniak said...

Welcome to the group!

Tom

 

Post a Comment

<< Home